Step 1: Analyze
Step 2: Design
Step 3: Evaluate
Click here to download the full handbook:
Communication to Combat Forest Crime in the Lower Mekong and in China: A handbook based on the findings of the knowledge, attitude, practices survey on illegal logging and illegal forest trade in the Lower Mekong and in China
- Amnesty International. (2022). ’Our Traditions Are Being Destroyed’: Illegal Logging, Repression, and Indigenous Peoples’ Rights Violations in Cambodia’s Protected Forests.
https://www.amnesty.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ ASA2351832022ENGLISH.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Camarena, I. and Inoguchi, A. (2022). Protect and Verify: Legally Trading CITESlisted trees species.
https://www.un-redd.org/multi-media-stories/protect-andverify-cites-listed-trees-species-and-their-legal-and-sustainable [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Conservation Measures Partnership. (2013). Open Standards for the Practice of Conservation Version 3.0
https://conservationstandards.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2020/10/CMP-OS-V3.0-Final-minor-update-May-2107.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. (2021). Online workshop on physical inspection of timber shipments in the Lower Mekong Region hosted by the CITES Secretariat.
https://cites.org/eng/CITES_timber_inspection_LowerMekong_workshop_29102021 [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- European Commission. (2021). Synopsis Report on Task 3 – Impact assessment on demand-side measures to address deforestation. https://ec.europa.eu/environment/forests/pdf/Synopsis%20Report%20on%20Stakeholder%20Consultation.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Fair, James. (2021). Study fails to find link between increased deforestation and COVID lockdowns. Mongabay. https://news.mongabay.com/2021/09/study-fails-tofind-link-between-increased-deforestation-and-covid-crisis/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2022) Global Forest Resources Assessment: Cambodia.
https://fra-data.fao.org/KHM/fra2020/home/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2022) Global Forest Resources Assessment: Lao People's Democratic Republic.
https://fra-data.fao.org/LAO/fra2020/home/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2022) Global Forest Resources Assessment: Thailand.
https://fra-data.fao.org/THA/fra2020/home/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2022) Global Forest Resources Assessment: Viet Nam.
https://fra-data.fao.org/VNM/fra2020/home/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (2021). FAO Remote Sensing Survey reveals tropical rainforests under pressure as agricultural expansion drives global deforestation.
https://www.fao.org/3/cb7449en/cb7449en.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Global Forest Watch. (2022). https://www.globalforestwatch.org/dashboards/country/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Global Witness. (2019). Lessons from China’s Global Forest Footprint: How China can rise to a global governance challenge. https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/forests/lessons-from-chinas-global-forest-footprint/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Global Witness. (2020). How to tackle the illegal timber trade? New rules on implementing China’s Forest Law could hold the key.
https://www.globalwitness.org/en/blog/how-to-tackle-the-illegal-timber-trade-new-rules-on-implementing-chinasforest-law-could-hold-the-key/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Lindgren, D. and Kelley, S. (2019). A new way of measuring behavioural compliance for prevention program interventions using KAP Score, Development in Practice, 29:4, 489-500.
- McKinley, A., Wintle, E., Moore, M., Storm, C., Baker, S., Man Sheng Tong, R., Atkins, G., Chen, D. Y., Floyd, J., Chan, C., Gong, Z., Lau, C., Liu, Y., and O'Neill, C. (2021). Transnational Organised Crime in the Mekong region: Review of regional policies, operational plans, and capacity to effectively respond to emerging challenges, DT Global & DT Institute.
- Mekong Region Land Governance. (2015). The Political Economy of Land Governance in the Mekong Region. http://www.mekonglandforum.org/sites/default/files/Political_Economy_of_Land_Governance_in_Region.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Middleton, C. and Matthews, N. (2014). Whose risky business?: Public–private partnerships, build-operate-transfer and large hydropower dams in the Mekong Region. Hydropower Development in the Mekong Region, pp 143-168.
- Mollins, Julie. (2020). Planted forests in Vietnam enhance ecosystem goods and services. Forest News.
https://forestsnews.cifor.org/66784/planted-forests-invietnam-enhance-ecosystem-goods-and-services [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Moorsel, T. and Fleury, M. (2020) Mapping of Industry and Investment Standards and Principles to the ASEAN Guidelines for Promoting Responsible Investment in Food, Agriculture and Forestry (ASEAN RAI).
http://exchange.growasia.org/mappingindustry-and-investment-standards-and-principles-asean-guidelines-promotingresponsible [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Mukpo, A. (2020) China’s revised forest law could boost efforts to fight illegal logging.
https://www.globalwoodmarketsinfo.com/chinas-new-forest-law-canboost-efforts-fight-illegal-logging/#:~:text=On%20December%2028%2C%202019%2C%20Chinese%20legislators%20revised%20the,boost%20efforts%20to%20fight%20the%20illegal%20logging%20trade [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Nellemann, C., Henriksen, R., Kreilhuber, A., Stewart, D., Kotsovou, M., Raxter, P., Mrema, E. and Barrat, S. (2016). The Rise of Environmental Crime: A Growing Threat To Natural Resources, Peace, Development and Security. UNEP-INTERPOL.
- Reytar, K., Stolle, F. And Anderson, W. (2019) Deforestation Threatens the Mekong, but New Trees Are Growing in Surprising Places.
https://www.wri.org/insights/deforestation-threatens-mekong-new-trees-are-growing-surprising-places [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Richards, M., Treanor, N.B., Sun, X., and Fenton, S.T. (2022) China’s International Wood Trade: A Review, 2011-2020. Forest Policy Trade and Finance Initiative.
https://www.forest-trends.org/publications/chinas-international-wood-trade-areview-2011-2020/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Shields, S.A. (2008) Gender: An Intersectionality Perspective. Sex Roles. 59(2008), 301-311.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11199-008-9501-8 [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- The Economist. (2021) Why retailers everywhere should look to China. https://www.economist.com/leaders/2021/01/02/why-retailers-everywhere-should-look-tochina [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Timber Trade Portal. (2022) Thailand Timber Risk Profile: Overview of Timber Sector of Thailand
https://www.timbertradeportal.com/en/thailand/142/timber-sector [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Tong, S.L.T. (2021). The Greater Mekong region: A hotspot of wildlife and crime. Mongabay. https://news.mongabay.com/2021/11/the-greater-mekong-region-ahotspot-of-wildlife-and-crime/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- UN-REDD. (2021). Lower Mekong countries set their priorities on sustainable forest trade.
https://www.un-redd.org/news/lower-mekong-countries-set-their-prioritiessustainable-forest-trade [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Vaughan, P. and Rogers, E. (2000). A Staged Model of Communication Effects: Evidence from an Entertainment-Education Radio Soap Opera in Tanzania, Journal of Health Communication, 5:3, 203-227
- Woods, K.M. (2019). Natural Resource Governance Reform and The Peace Process in Myanmar. Forest Trends. https://www.forest-trends.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/NRG_Peace_Myanmar_Final.pdf [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Worldwide Fund for Nature. (2021). Climate Change Mitigation https://asiapacific.panda.org/our_work/forests/climate_change_mitigation/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Worldwide Fund for Nature. (2020). Deforestation Fronts Factsheet: Myanmar
ttps://wwf.panda.org/discover/our_focus/forests_practice/deforestation_fronts_/fact_sheets/ [Accessed 30 September 2022]
- Worldwide Fund for Nature. (2015). Wild Wonders of the Mekong.
https://www.worldwildlife.org/magazine/issues/spring-2015/articles/the-mekong [Accessed 30th September 2022]
- Wunder S., Kaimowitz D., Jensen S., and Feder S. (2021). Coronavirus, macroeconomy, and forests: What likely impacts? Forest Policy and Economics, 131.